By Steve Unegbu
The Main Town lodge at No 19 Crowther street Umuahia has this been gutted by fire from very high electric current, destroying properties worth about 10 million naira ,according the manager of the relaxation center
Speaking to newsmen at the scene of the fire outbreak ,the manager in charge of the place ,miss Chika Cintia …lauded the officers of the fire service for prompt intervention. ” I am satisfied with their response. I thank God that they came on time ”
” The fire is as a result of electric current, it was very high ,the electric wire from the electric pole cut as a result of high current and failed on top of the building ,resulting in setting the entire place on fire ,even when we switched off the the line to no avail” ” I am calling on the EDCC or NEPA to wake up to their responsibility .Electric current fluctuations have caused much damages to us ”
Addressing the pressmen ,the officer that led the Abia state fire service officers to the scene of the fire outbreak, Mr Okpechi Chimaobi from Abia state fire service ,Government house command ,thank the officers of the police force for stopping the mob from attacking them.
He disclosed that as soon as they received distress call from the scene of the fire outbreak ,they rushed to the place ,but surprisingly some people wanted to attack them for arriving late.
In his words , ” when we received the call for fire outbreak ,it did not take us up to five minutes to arrive to this place,the little delay was a result of traffic congestion, but thank God for using the officers of traffic warders to ensure that we were allowed to pass ,despite the traffic on the road and we have succeeded in quenching the fire from causing more damages “